- Hummus is commonly made with a food processor or blender but in this article, we’re going to be taking you through how to make hummus by hand, without a blender or food processor.
- There are different hummus recipes you can try without a food processor and we’re going to be discussing those recipes and how to make them.
- We are also going to be talking about the different health benefits that come with hand-made hummus.
Hummus has come a long way and from being a simple Middle Eastern snack to being a very popular cuisine in the United States and some parts of Europe is such an unbelievable feat. Although the real origin of hummus is somewhat always called into question, what’s most glaring is that it is from the Middle East. One of the best things to know about hummus is that it is very easy to and it has lots of different recipes you can enjoy. However, people are so used to making hummus with blenders and food processors that they’ve forgotten that they can make it without any of those things. As we get deeper in this article, we’ll be discussing how to make hummus by hand and all the different healthy hummus recipes you can enjoy by hand as well.
Regarded as perhaps the easiest Middle Easter food to make, a lot of people have grown accustomed to making hummus with either a blender or food processor, which are always recommended for best results. However, these two machines are not the only ways to get your hummus recipes done. What if you do not have any of a food processor and blender? You can still make hummus with neither of these machines and still get the best results; although they might not be as creamy as they would have been if they were processed by a blender or food processor.
Because hummus is a versatile food, that paves way for different vegetables and spices to be added to it to get different flavors entirely. But before we get into the different hummus recipes you can make by hand, let’s see how hummus itself can be beneficial to your overall health.
BENEFITS OF HUMMUS
IT COMES IN DIFFERENT FLAVORS
Perhaps one of the reasons why hummus might have gained such a huge popularity is its versatility. Hummus might only have few basic ingredients but there are different things you can add to it to give it so many awesome flavors. This way, lots of recipes can be made and these recipes are just as popular as the basic hummus itself; perhaps even more because they give a different kind of taste. Can you ever get bored with hummus? That’s unlikely. This is because you can make hummus in different forms and still get the maximum health benefits out of it.
IT FIGHTS OFF INFLAMMATION
Another important health benefit of hummus is that it produces powerful antioxidants that are responsible for fighting off inflammation, thanks to one of its basic ingredients, olive oil. Acute inflammation is one thing everybody should be looking to avoid and hummus is one of the many ways this can be achieved.
According to an article published on Healthline, tahini, one of the basic ingredients of hummus which is made from sesame seeds, can help reduce inflammation markers which can result in an acute inflammatory disease called arthritis. So, knowing that three of the basic ingredients needed to make hummus have properties that can help combat inflammatory makes it even more encouraging to consume.
IT IS LIKELY TO HELP REDUCE CANCER RISK
Chickpeas, one of the main ingredients used in preparing hummus, contain a large quantity of foliate and according to the American Institute for Cancer Research, this largely supports the growth of gut bacteria (healthy ones) which in turn can reduce one’s chances of having colon cancer. For this reason, hummus is considered to be very healthy and the fact that it is very tasty makes it an all-round healthy snack.
HUMMUS IMPROVES HEART CONDITIONS
What is the most fascinating you’ve heard about Mediterranean diets? A study published by The New England Journal of Medicine Mediterranean diet that contains high levels of beans, fish, vegetables, and fruits can prevent people with heart conditions from dying. This is a huge revelation and hummus being a Middle Eastern dish that contains all of those ingredients can actually do a lot to help people with heart conditions. Heart conditions should never be taken lightly (health conditions generally) and since hummus promotes good heart health, why don’t you try making some healthy hummus recipes today?
IT HELPS MAINTAIN HEALTHY WEIGHT
Another important benefit of hummus is that it helps you maintain a very healthy weight. The tahini, which is made from sesame seed, is filled with a great amount of monounsaturated fats which have proved to be healthy fats and help reduce the belly fat. Additionally, chickpeas have proved to be rich in proteins and that can cause you to feel fuller for longer time, reducing the number of junk foods you’ll be consuming in the process. The overall importance of hummus regarding healthy weight maintenance cannot be overemphasized.
HUMMUS IMPROVES ANEMIA
Anemia is a bad health condition which causes weakness and tiredness. This occurs when the red blood cells in your body are not strong enough to carry sufficient oxygen to the tissues in your body. So, what has hummus got to do with this? Chickpeas and tahini, two of the basic ingredients of hummus, are rich in iron which helps strengthen your red blood cells by delivering sufficient energy to them.
HUMMUS CAN LOWER YOUR CHOLESTEROL
Chickpeas are very well known for containing healthy nutrients that can help reduce the cholesterol in your body, which in turn is a good way to prevent any heart-related diseases. Although the best way to ensure your hummus stays healthy is when you make it at home. Homemade hummus recipes always prove to have less sodium than when bought at the grocery stores.
DIFFERENT HUMMUS RECIPES YOU CAN MAKE BY HAND
Now that we’ve talked about several health benefits you can get from consuming hummus, let’s take a quick look at the hummus recipes you can make by hand.
BASIC LEBANESE-INSPIRED HUMMUS RECIPE
This recipe is a very popular one in the Middle East, especially Lebanon where most people believe hummus originated from in the first place. Though a simple cuisine, this recipe is great for some many reasons, one of which is its awesome taste. If you now combine this with its simple, handmade style, then you have one of the best hummus recipes right in your hands.
- Olive oil
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 cups of juiced lemon
- ½ tbsp of salt
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 8 tbsp of tahini
- 30 ounces of dried chickpeas
- ¼ tbsp of paprika
- After rinsing the chickpeas thoroughly, soak them in water with baking soda for about 10 hours so they’ll get softened quicker.
- After they must have been properly soaked, put them in a filter so you can get rid of the old water. Proceed to rinse them again with clean water.
- Transfer the chickpeas to a pot and boil on high heat after adding about 6 cups of water. Cook for about 45 minutes and if the chickpeas are soft enough, it means they’ve been properly cooked.
- Put the chickpeas in a large bowl and with the help of a potato masher, mash the chickpeas along with the other ingredients until you have the perfect consistency (it is important to know that you won’t get the same results using hand compared to when you’re using a food processor or a blender)
- Once you have a perfect consistency, you can add a little olive oil and other ingredients you might have in mind to garnish.
- Enjoy your handmade delicious hummus!
AVOCADO HUMMUS RECIPE
Like we mentioned earlier, hummus is one of the most versatile snacks you can think of and to think that you can have it together with avocado flavor makes it even more amazing. This is a really amazing recipe and as much as you’ll get a very creamy consistency with either a blender or food processor, you can also make it by hand with the help of a potato mash. This will also give you a great consistency. Not as great as the other two machines though.
- 2 cups of well cooked chickpeas
- 3 tablespoon of tahini
- 2 tablespoon of Greek yogurt
- 2 medium-sized well chopped avocados
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup of juiced limes
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Put all the hummus ingredients in a bowl that is large enough to contain all of them and with a potato masher or a mug, mash the ingredients together until you begin to have a great consistency. You might want to add the ingredients one after the other after you must have totally mashed the cooked chickpeas to avoid a hard texture.
- If the mixture is too thick, then proceed to add a little chickpeas liquid and continue mashing until you have a consistency that is close to creamy (this is the best you can get if you’re making this recipe with your hand).
- Transfer the hummus to a serving plate and cover with a plastic wrap to prevent a change in color of the hummus. Leave it to chill for a couple of minutes before you garnish with extra olive oil and any other ingredients you have in mind.
- Enjoy your avocado hummus!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can you make hummus by hand?
It is true that you can only get the best result out of your hummus recipes when you make them with a high-powered blender or food processor. However, handmade hummus recipes don’t taste any different. The only clear difference is the smoothness in the final texture which is only natural if you don’t get it by using your hand. In the end, you’ll enjoy your handmade hummus more because you won’t lose any nutrients or vitamins to the blending process.
2. How do you mash chickpeas without using a potato masher?
Chickpeas are the most important part of hummus and when you’re making handmade hummus recipes, mashing can be difficult sometimes. Potato masher is the most common masher to use in this case but a worthy alternative is a mug which you can always use if a potato masher doesn’t seem feasible.
Hummus is one of the quickest and easiest snacks to make and for this reason; a lot of people have turned their attention to it for that quick, tasty experience. However, making hummus has always been limited to just high-powered blenders and food processors which has made people believe those are the only ways hummus could be made. Making hummus my hand is not impossible. Matter of fact, it is a well-proven method which has worked for a lot of people. We have discussed two of the best hummus recipes you can make by hand and we hope you really try them out.
ESTIMATED TIME DESIGNING AND UPLOADING THIS ARTICLE
11 HOURS 23 MINUTES
ESTIMATED TIME RESEARCHING AND WRITING THIS ARTICLE